Computers on wheels: who’s going to keep track of driverless vehicles? – The Guardian live chat
The Guardian live chat on September 7, 2017
- Birgitte Andersen, CEO, The Big Innovation Centre
- Chris Jackson, head of transport, Burges Salmon
- Justyna Zander, technology director, NVidia Corporation
- David Williams, technical director, AxA
- Ben Peters, co-founder, FiveAI
- Melanie Smallman, deputy director Responsible Research and Innovation hub, UCL
- Nathan Marsh, UK & Northern Europe director, Intelligent Mobility, Atkins
- William Sachiti, founder, Academy of Robotics
What we’ll be discussing
Should we deregulate in the UK to remain competitive?
A great question from the floor:
Would the panel agree that in order for the UK to remain competitive in the CAV space, and encourage inward investment, the government must be prepared to push the boundaries of real-world testing and regulate/de-regulate accordingly?
Our panel is broadly in favour:
A question of ethics
I am internally challenged by wanting to know that data is being used to protect me, to inform me and to improve my journey experience, versus not wanting to be controlled, policed and manipulated into a behaviour – what are the panel’s thoughts on my dilemma?
Keeping our data safe
What should the priorities be?
Thanks to all our panel and everyone who sent in questions
Since you’re here … we have a small favour to ask. More people are reading the Guardian than ever but advertising revenues across the media are falling fast. And unlike many news organisations, we haven’t put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as open as we can. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. The Guardian’s independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too.
If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps to support it, our future would be much more secure. You can give to the Guardian by becoming a supporter. – Guardian HQ